Hearing news like this often discourages those switching into the technology field, especially if you consider yourself “old” in this industry.
It isn’t old age that’s the problem, it’s having an old mindset. Let me explain to you why, starting with this hilarious Quora post:
- I can’t be a designer without going to design or art school
- With only this much experience, I can’t apply for a job
- The tech industry prefers young people. I’m past my prime for this industry
It’s Not About Age. It’s About Experience.
I recently caught up with Jenn, a graphic design professional who made the transition to UX.
Despite working professionally in graphic design for several years, Jenn didn’t let mental barriers about age stop her from pursuing a new career in UX.
She knew that when transitioning into a new career, gaining experience was key. She achieved that by:
- Taking on a volunteer project through Taproot
- Doing personal projects and class projects
- Seizing opportunities at her current job to make UX deliverables
At the end of the day, don’t focus on what can’t be changed, like age. What can be changed is mindset and experience. Those things are in your control. Focusing on strengths and gaining experience will take anyone closer to where they want to be.
And, a random bit about Harrison Ford…
Did you know that Harrison Ford was a carpenter until he got discovered in his 30s? The infographic below proves that it’s never too late to start…if it’s something you really care about.
If you’re ever feeling discouraged about transitioning into UX, subscribe below to get a boost of practical positivity.