WHAT IS UX WRITING?
Chances are you’re already doing UX writing to some extent if you’re creating the copy for your interfaces. I wrote a new Medium article covering definitions and visual examples of this emerging practice.
If you’re a Medium user, I’d appreciate a “like!” Just hit the clap icon and hold down – each person can clap a maximum of 50 times per article.
HAPPY 15TH BIRTHDAY, LANDING PAGE
I was unaware that Microsoft helped popularize the landing page, originally used as a mini-site to increase sales for their Office product. The Landing Page at 15: Grown Up and Professional covers interesting angles of this art form, from squeeze pages to advice on designing CTAs.
- “Best practices will tell you that both short and long forms perform well—it all depends on whether you want to generate a lot of (potentially) lower-quality form submissions, or a smaller number of higher-quality submissions.”
DESIGN IN CHINA
Every once in a while, I like to take a peek at what’s going on in the world’s second largest economy – China. In this interview of Black Cover Design, a Chinese agency, I learned about how the design field has grown dramatically in China due to fierce GDP growth. But with that growth comes lack of education and mentorship.
- “When I first operated my own studio, I targeted overseas customers which accounted for more than 80% of my business. At that time, there were not so many domestic customers… At present, China’s market demand is very robust. Many companies have begun to pay attention to design and attach due importance to design, and feel that design is a part of brand competitiveness.“
LESSONS FROM BIKE SHARING APPS
Are Birds scooters and Jump bikes littering your city? They are in Los Angeles. In What Can Bike Sharing Apps Teach Us About Mobile On-boarding Design?, one of my favorite designers Luke Wroblewski shares one of his gripes that I myself had signing up for Bird:
- “When asking for personal (especially highly personal) information, explain why. Even just a sentence about why I had to scan my driver’s license would have helped me immensely with Bird’s process.”
DESIGNING AND PROTOTYPING WITH VOICE
Khoi Vinh recently demo’d Adobe XD’s new ability to design, prototype and share with voice as a medium. It’s crazy how easy this will enable designers to prototype voice interactions. TL;DR – Adobe is killin’ it in the design tools wars right now.
- “In addition to being able to design and prototype the visual layout, you can also define the actual voice inputs and outputs for that assistant. That means you can just type in the exact phrase that you want the app to listen for—XD will actually listen for you to utter the text that you enter and, when it hears it, will advance the prototype.”
🏁UX CAREER COACHING CORNER
Are you a recent college graduate looking to break into UX at a top company? This article contains interview tips from a design grad who’s interviewed with Apple, Microsoft and Facebook. One line that rings particularly true…
- “These interviews are really about connecting with the design team. Talk to them about your passions, what drives you, why you’re a designer, why you’re the kind of designer you are, and where you see yourself, your work, and the world of design going.”
In my UX Career Coaching, get clear on exactly how to optimize your profile as a UX designer so that you can rock your interviews. A few coaching spots just opened up for November; grab a seat while you can.
Oz, founder @ UXBeginner, instructor @ UX School